Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Texas Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - Texas Workforce Commission
- Texas does not have state withholding
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register with Texas Workforce Commission
Employers must register with the TWC (Texas Workforce Commission) within 10 days of becoming subject to the Taxes Unemployment Compensation Act. You must wait to register until wages are paid to the employee; however, you can reach out to your dedicated Support Team to setup the state.
1. Go to the Unemployment Tax Registration site
2. Under the Quick Links section, click the Sign Up for User ID
3. Enter your information to create a user profile.
4. Complete the application with the company's information.
Agency website and Contact Information
- Texas Workforce Commission (512) 463-2699