Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Indiana Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - Indiana Department of Workforce Development
- State Income Withholding Tax - Indiana Department of Revenue
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register with Indiana Department of Workforce Development
1. Go to the Employer Self Service site.
2. Click the First Time User box under Resources
3. The Check Existing UI Account will appear. You will need to confirm if you are an Employer or Agent and if you have an Indiana DWD account.
4. Enter your FEIN and Next
5. New Employer registration screen will appear. Review the prompt and when ready to continue, click Next
6. The state will provide a list of items needed to register for this account. Continue through the next pages entering you company information and creating a username and password.
The account number will be provided to you instantly after the registration is completed. For more information, please see the Employer Handbook - Here
Register with Indiana Department of Revenue
1. Go to Access Indiana - Here
2. Click the Sign Up for Access Indiana
3. Enter your email address and click Send Verification Code
4. Once the verification code is received, enter the code and click Continue
5. Create a password for your account and click Continue
6. Complete your personal information to your account.
Optional steps - would be to complete the 2 factor identification
7. Complete the company information for the State withholding account registration.
The Indiana State Withholding account number will be received within 2-3 business days.
Agency Contact Information
- Indiana Department of Revenue (317) 232-2240
- Indiana Department of Workforce Development (800) 891-6499