Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.

Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status. 

Kentucky Tax Agency

Eligibility Requirements 

Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:

  • Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
  • Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period

Register with Kentucky Office of Employment and Training 

1. Go to Kentucky's Self Service website - 

2. Click the Employer Registration option on the left navigation bar. 

3. Continue with the acknowledgment. 

4. Enter and verify your company's FEIN. 

5. Setup your username and password for the state site. Note, you will need to keep this handy in case you are asked to log in. 

6. If you have never had a state account with Kentucky, you will need to use the "New Business Registration". Other options are, “New Business Registration as a Successor”, “Registration to Reinstate your account”, and “Registration for a Letter of Good Standing”. 

Once the registration is completed, the state will provide your Kentucky Employer Identification Number (KEIN) ad tax rate on a Notice of Subjectivity. If you need any assistance, you can review the Employer Guide or call - (502) 564-2272. 

Register with Kentucky Department of Revenue

1. To register, use 

2. Review the reminder and confirm. 

3. On the Kentucky Online Gateway log in page, click Create New Account.

4. Enter your contact information then click Sign Up

5. Continue with your company's information. 

You should receive your Withholding Tax Account number with 2-3 business days along with your tax deposit schedule. For any questions and assistance, call (502) 564-3306.

Register for Kentucky Tax Localities

Employers may be responsible for withholding City, School and County local taxes depending on where the employee may be working. Employers can visit the Kentucky Business One Stop site for more information. 

Agency Contact Information 

  • Kentucky Office of Employment and Training - (502) 564-2168 
  • Kentucky Department of Revenue (DOR) - (502) 564-7287 
Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request



Article is closed for comments.