Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Illinois Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES)
- State Income Withholding Tax - Illinois Department of Revenue
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register for State Unemployment and State Withholding
Registration is completed within one website - My Tax Illinois.
1. Scroll down to select Register a New Business (Form REG-1) under the Register section. Note, anything with a red asterisk is a mandatory field.
2. You will need to enter your business information then click Next.
3. Enter your business contact information then click Next.
4. Continue through the application.
Your account numbers will be provided to you once the registration is complete. Income tax withholding with align to your company's FEIN with an additional sequence of numbers. Unemployment account number will be in the format of XXXXXXX-X.
Agency Contact Information
- Illinois Department of Revenue (217) 782-3336
- Illinois Department of Employment Security (800) 247-4984