Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Washington Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - Employment Security Department
- State Income Withholding Tax - Washington Department of Labor & Industries
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register with Washington Employment Security Department
To register for an account number, you will need to ensure you are registered to have an business license with the state.
- Sole proprietorships and general partnerships need only file a Business License Application with the Business Licensing Service.
- Corporations, limited partnerships, LLCs and LLPs first create a business structure with the Office of the Secretary of State. After creating a business structure, file a business license application with the Business Licensing Service.
The Department of Revenue will process your application notify WA Labor & Industry (L&I) and the Employment Security Department (ESD) to open the necessary accounts.
The state will send you a packet with all of your account information within 10 business days.
Additional Washington Taxes:
Agency Contact Information
- Washington State Employment Security Department (855) 829-9243
- Washington Labor and Industries (L&I) (360) 902-5800
- Washington Paid Family and Medical Leave (833) 717-2273