Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Rhode Island Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - Rhode Island Department of Labor and Training
- State Income Withholding Tax - Rhode Island Division of Taxation
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register for Unemployment Insurance and State Withholding
You can register for both accounts through one registration!
1. Go to the Business Registration page and click Begin.
2. Click the Create an Account link.
3. Enter your information to setup the user account.
4. Follow the remaining prompts for your business registration.
Once the registration is complete, you will receive your account numbers and deposit schedule within 3-5 business days.
Agency Contact Information
- Rhode Island Division of Taxation (401) 574-8829
- Rhode Island Division of Taxation, Employer Tax Section (401) 574-8700, Option 2