Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.

Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status. 

Ohio Tax Agency

Eligibility Requirements 

Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:

  • Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
  • Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period

Register with Ohio Department of Job & Family Services 

1. Go to Ohio's The Source site. 

2. Click on the Employers box. 

3. For new employers that do not have an account, scroll down and select the Register for an Account - Employers

4. Complete the remaining prompts with your and the company's information. 

When the registration is complete, you will receive your account numbers and information within 3-4 weeks. If you have any questions, please visit UI Tax for New Employers 

Register with Ohio Department of Taxation 

1. Go to the Ohio Business Gateway site

2. Click the login button 

3. Select Create Account 

4. Enter your information to create a user account. 

5. Once completed, continue to register for state withholding taxes. You will need to enter your company's information. 

Once the registration is completed, you will receive a confirmation number and then you can generate your registration letter. The registration letter will have the withholding account number. For any questions, please visit the state site or call (888) 405-4039. 

Ohio Local Taxes 

Municipal (City) Income Tax

City taxes in Ohio are primarily based on the employee's work location. It is mandatory for the employer to:

  • Register to withhold and pay for the area in which the employee works, and;
  • It may also be necessary to withhold for an employee's home taxes.
  1. To find out where to register, check this website for a list of cities that assess an Municipal income tax.
  2. Register with the appropriate local tax agencies.

RITA (Regional Income Tax Agency)

Some cities outsource their tax collection to third-party tax collectors. If you will be paying income tax in a local municipality administered by the RITA, you must register your business with the tax collector. Registration is complete online through the RITA site - Online Services 

Agency Contact Information

  • Ohio Department of Taxation (888) 405-4039
  • Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (614) 466-2319
Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request



Article is closed for comments.