Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Massachusetts Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - Department of Unemployment Assistance and EMAC
- State Income Withholding Tax - Massachusetts Department of Revenue (DOR)
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register with Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance
1. Go to the Unemployment Services of Employers site.
2. Under the Online Registration section, click Register your business.
3. Enter your company's FEIN and click the blue next button.
4. Enter the legal entity type of the business and click the blue next button.
5. The state site will then ask a series of questions regarding the company to see if you are liable for SUI.
6. Certify the company information and submit your application.
Once the application is complete, you will receive a confirmation number and the account number will be received immediately. For any additional questions, please visit Register my Business with DUA.
Register with Massachusetts Department of Revenue
1. Go to MassTaxConnect.
2. Under the Quick Links section, click Register a New Taxpayer
3. Select the register a new business
4. Review the requirements
5. Complete the application with your business's information.
Once the application is complete, you will receive your account number in the format of WTH-000....
Agency Contact Information
- Massachusetts Department of Revenue (617) 887-6367
- Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance (617) 626-5075