Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
North Dakota Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - North Dakota Job Service
- State Income Withholding Tax - North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register with North Dakota Job Service
1. Go to North Dakota UI EASY site.
2. Under the New to North Dakota Online Services, click Create Account.
3. Create your user account
4. Follow the remaining prompts with your company's information.
Once completed, you will receive your account number within 2-3 weeks. For any questions, you can call (701) 328-4470.
Register with North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner
1. Go to North Dakota TAP home page.
2. Click the Sign Up For Access
3. Under the Sales & Use or Withholding Application section, click Continue to Electronic Application link
4. Enter the reason for submitting an application.
5. Follow the remaining prompts and enter with your company's information.
Once the registration is completed, the account number will be sent within a few weeks.
Agency Contact Information
- North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner (877) 328-7088
- Job Service North Dakota (701) 328-2814