Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Kansas Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - Kansas Department of Labor (DOL)
- State Income Withholding Tax - Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR)
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register with Kansas Department Of Labor
1. Employers must complete the user registration in order to start the process of the tax registration. Click here - User Registration
2. Complete all areas with a red asterisk then click register
3. Then select Apply for Tax Account Online
4. Click File a KCNS 010 Status Report to register your business for Unemployment Tax.
5. Once completed, the state will send you the 6-digit account number along with a pin number. Please keep both on hand.
Register with Kansas Department Of Revenue
2. Click the Customer Service Center tab at the top of the page.
3. If you have not created a user profile, click the yellow Register Now button
4. Enter your personal information
5. Once logged in, complete the withholding tax registration for your company.
If you have any questions, you can call the state 785-368-8222. When calling, you can obtain the account information like the tax account number and deposit schedule.
Agency Contact Information
- Kansas Department of Revenue (785) 368-8222
- Kansas Department of Labor (785) 296-5000