Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
New York Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - NY Department of Labor
- State Income Withholding Tax - NY Department of Taxation and Finance
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register for State Withholding & State Unemployment
Registration can be handled within one application for SUI and SIT!
1. Click here to access the New York Department of Labor site. Review the prerequisites, requirements and how to apply sections to ensure your company is eligible.
2. Click the Apply Online button
3. Create a user profile with a username and password by clicking Register Here
4. Complete the registration with your company information. Note, when you come across a section called "Agent C/O Address", it'll ask if you'd like unemployment-related mail to be sent to your payroll provider—select No.
Once the application is complete, you will receive your account information within 5 business days. Any questions, please call (888) 899-8810.
Additional State Taxes
State Disability Insurance
New York is one of a few states that require employers to provide disability benefits coverage to employees for an off-the-job injury or illness. They have a state-run program called the New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF) where you can sign up to provide this policy (Disability Benefits).
Paid Family Leave
New York is one of a few states that require employers to provide family leave benefits coverage to employees for qualified leave. Employers should contact their current SDI carrier to learn more about adding Paid Family Leave coverage.
Note, CertiPay Online calculates SDI and PFL; however, will not be reported/debited as this is handled through a private insurance agency.
State Workers' Compensation
Workers’ Compensation insurance is mandatory for most employers of one or more employees in New York. You can obtain coverage through the New York State Workers' Compensation Board (WCB) or you can go through a private insurance agent or broker that is licensed in New York. CertiPay does not handle registration for state workers' comp.
Metropolitan Commuter Transportation Mobility Tax
This tax is for certain individuals engaging in business within the Metropolitan district. The two zones are:
- Zone 1 includes the counties of New York (Manhattan), Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), Queens, and Richmond (Staten Island).
- Zone 2 includes the counties of Rockland, Nassau, Suffolk, Orange, Putnam, Dutchess, and Westchester.
For additional questions, please visit - https://www.tax.ny.gov/bus/mctmt/
Agency Contact Information
- New York State Department of Taxation and Finance (518) 485-6654
- New York State Department of Labor (888) 899-8810