Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Virginia Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - Virginia Employment Commission
- State Income Withholding Tax - Virginia Department of Taxation
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register with Virginia Employment Commission & Virginia Tax
You can register for both tax agencies by visiting the VA Tax Online Services for Businesses website.
1. Under the New Users section, select the Are you a new Business? Register Here option
2. Complete the next screen with your personal information. Note, this will be to set your username and password for the tax portal.
3. Follow the remaining screens and complete with your company's information.
After the registration is complete, you will receive your VA Tax Account Number (income tax withholding number), income tax withholding deposit schedule, and VEC Account Number (unemployment tax number) instantly. If you are a new employer in the state, you will receive the SUI rate once you become liable. For now, you will be responsible to have the new employer SUI rate unless updated by the state. Your dedicated Support team will assist with getting this rate setup for you.
Agency Contact Information
- Virginia Department of Taxation (804) 367-8037
- Virginia Employment Commission (866) 832-2363