Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
South Dakota Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - South Dakota Department of Labor & Regulation
- South Dakota does not have state withholding
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register with the South Dakota Department of Labor
1. Go to the state site using this link - Reemployment Assistance for Businesses (RA Tax)
2. Select the Log In Here to Register Your Business
3. Under the New Users Start Here section, click the Create ID button.
4. Complete the User ID form and click Submit.
5. You will be returned to the main log in screen. Once you are in your portal, you can complete the registration for South Dakota SUI.
After the registration is submitted, your account number will be provided to you within 10-14 business days.
Agency Contact Information
- South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation, Unemployment Insurance Division (605) 626-2312