Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
West Virginia Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - WorkForce West Virginia
- State Income Withholding Tax - West Virginia State Tax Department
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register with WorkForce West Virginia & State Tax Department
The one stop portal can be used to process one application for both tax accounts.
1. Click this link to land on the home page - WV One Stop Business Portal
2. Click Create a User Account under Ready to Start or Manage Your Business section.
3. Complete the remaining pieces for the registration.
Once the application is completed, you will receive your account numbers within a couple of weeks.
Agency Contact Information
- West Virginia State Tax Department (800) 982-8297
- Workforce West Virginia, Unemployment Compensation Division (304) 558-2676