Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Nebraska Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - Nebraska Department of Labor
- State Income Tax Withholding - Nebraska Department of Revenue
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Here is the Employer Tax Services User Guide if you need any additional assistance.
Register with Nebraska Department of Labor
1. To start the registration for the Department of Labor, click here
2. Scroll down to option 3 and click Employers and Agents
3. Select Direct Representative of your Organization then Next
4. Check the Unemployment Tax and Benefit Services box
5. Since this is a new registration, select No on "Do you have a UI Employer Account Number (EAN)"
6. Click Yes on the F-EIN option then enter your Federal Employer Identification Number.
7.The site will direct you through the remaining items needed about your company to complete the registration.
The account number will be provided to you within 7 business days to the contact information you provided during the registration.
Register with Nebraska Department of Revenue
1. First time users will need to complete a user account by entering a valid email address. Then click on the register new account button.
2. Complete your company's information within the following slides. For example, ownership type, FEIN and addresses.
1. You can register through the mail. Please note, this process takes longer to retrieve the account number for your company.
2. Complete Form 20
3. Fax to 402-471-5729 or mail to Nebraska Department of Revenue PO Box 98903 Lincoln, NE 68509
The account number will be given the same day if the registration is completed online. For any assistance, here is a video on how to complete the registration - How To Video
Agency Contact Information
- Nebraska Department of Revenue (800) 742-7474
- Nebraska Department of Labor (402) 471-9898