Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Utah Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - Utah Department of Workforce Services
- State Income Tax Withholding - Utah State Tax Commission
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
If your company is liable, you'll receive the below once you've completed registration:
- Employer Registration Number and;
- If you're a reimbursable employer: Your registration number should begin with a "R-" (R-#-######-#).
- If you're not a reimbursable employer: Your registration number should begin with a "C-" (C-#-######-#).
- Unemployment Tax Rate (also referred to as your Unemployment Contribution Rate).
- If you're unsure of what your rate is, call the agency at (801) 526-9235, option 3.
Register for State Unemployment and State Withholding
To register for both SUI and SIT with Utah, you can use one website to complete the combined registration.
1. Click on this link to start the registration process: OneStop Business Registration
2. Review the important information on the screen then click Continue
3. The next screen will be to login with your UtahID. If you do not have an account, then click Create an Account
4. Enter your information in the following screens.
5. Once you have created a login, you will need to complete the business registration with your company's information.
After completing the application, you will be provided a temporary account number. Your permanent account number and deposit schedule will arrive within 2 weeks.
Agency Contact Information
- Utah State Tax Commission (800) 662-4335
- Utah Department of Workforce Services (801) 526-9235