Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Minnesota Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - Minnesota Unemployment Insurance
- State Income Tax Withholding - Minnesota Department of Revenue
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register with Minnesota Unemployment Insurance
1. This link will provide information on the registration application and what is needed - Employer Registration Information
2. Scroll down to click Next
3. Privacy agreement is on the next page.
4. Confirm why the registration is being placed. If you are needing an account, select This business does not have a UI account number and has paid, or will be paying wages to employees.
5. Answer the following questions regarding the company and payroll information.
The account number will be provided to you once the application is complete.
Register with Minnesota Department of Revenue
1. Through the MN E-Services site, select the Get a Minnesota Tax ID Number
2. Enter your company's information within the following prompts by entering the information and clicking the next button at the bottom of the page.
The account number will be provided to you instantly when the application is submitted.