Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Mississippi Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - Mississippi Department of Employment Security
- State Income Withholding Tax - Mississippi Department of Revenue
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register with Mississippi Department of Employment Security
1. Go to the Register with us site
2. Scroll down to click Register a New Business or click here.
3. Enter your information and click next
4. Create a username, password and enter your email address. Then click next.
5. Complete the following steps with your company's information.
Once the registration is completed, you will receive an account number immediately. There may be some cases that the state will need to review the application. This could cause a delay in receiving the account number.
Register with Mississippi Department of Revenue
1. Registration will be completed on the TAP portal.
2. Scroll down to select the Apply for Tax Accounts, Liquor Permits, Amusement Decals option
3. If you are new to the site, click the Register a New Taxpayer
4. Enter your entity type.
5. The site will populate more questions regarding the company's information that is entered into the application.
When the registration is completed, you will receive a confirmation number. The DOR will send you the account number registered to your business.