Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Missouri Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - Missouri Department of Labor & Industrial Relations
- State Income Tax Withholding - Missouri Department of Revenue
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register with Missouri Department of Revenue
There will only be one registration application for both State Unemployment and State Withholding. After the registration is completed, you will receive your account number within 1-2 weeks.
1. Go to MO Department of Revenue
2. Scroll down to click the Start Registration Here button
3. Agree to the terms
4. Enter your information to create a user and click next.
5. Enter the company's information within the following prompts and click next.
6. You will receive confirmation that the application was submitted.
Employees who live or work in Kansas City are subject to a city taxes (E-Tax and City Tax) from the City of Kansas City, Finance Department.
To register for an account, go to Quick Tax site and click Register Here under the businesses and individuals section. Enter your company's information within the following prompts. If you need any assistance, you can access how-to videos here.
Once the Local Information is received contact CertiPay Online Support to input that information into the application.
St. Louis City
For businesses with activity in St. Louis, you'll need to register with the St. Louis Collector of Revenue
2. There are 3 ways to send the competed form:
- Faxing it to the St. Louis Collector of Revenue at (314) 622-4847—Attention "Registration".
- Email to Earningstaxcor@stlouis-mo.gov
- Mail to Gregory F.X. Daly, Collector of Revenue, 1200 Market Street, Room 410, St. Louis, MO 63103
If you have any questions, call the agency at (314) 622-4111.
Agency Contact Information
- Missouri Department of Revenue (573) 751-8750
- Missouri Department of Labor and Industrial Relations, Division of Employment Security (573) 751-3215