Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Nevada Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - Nevada Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation
- Nevada does not have state withholding
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register with the Nevada
If the company is subject to State Unemployment than during the registration process, you will also register for the Modified Business Tax. You will receive your MBT account number within your welcome package from the state.
- Register with the DETR online.
- Click on Create a new online user account in the "I want to" section.
- Click the Create New User Account hyperlink under the "Continue" button.
- Click I Accept to accept the terms and conditions.
- Click Employer.
- Click No to having an existing account number.
- Fill in all the required company details.
- Click Next.
- Complete any remaining steps.
- Once registration is complete, add your payroll provider as a third-party administrator (TPA)
Find Your Account Number
- The account number can be located within the Online account with the Department of Employment.
- On a tax notices or any communication regarding the tax account directly from the state.
- Any returns filed to the state (NUCS-4072)
Agency website and Contact Information
Nevada Department of Employment, Training & Rehabilitation (775) 684-6310