Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account info required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Wisconsin Tax Agencies
- State Income Tax Withholding - Wisconsin Department of Revenue
- State Unemployment Insurance - Wisconsin Workforce Development
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register with Wisconsin Workforce Development
1. Head to the UI Employer Online Services site
2. Under the new user section, click sign up
3. Complete the user registration to create an account with the state.
4. Enter your company's information within the following prompted questions.
Once the registration is completed, you will receive your account information instantly with your account number and rate.
Register with Wisconsin Department of Revenue
1. Go to the Wisconsin Department of Revenue site.
2. Click on the Register with Department of Revenue link
3. The first question will ask if you are registering your business for the first time with this state, Yes or no
3. The system will populate the following prompts to guide you through the registration process. The application will ask specific questions regarding the company, please ensure you have all of the company's information on hand; like EIN, business type, first check date, etc.
Agency Website and Contact Information
- Wisconsin Department of Revenue (608) 266-2776
- Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development, Division of Unemployment Insurance (608) 261-6700