Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Montana Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - Montana Department of Labor & Industry
- State Income Tax Withholding - Montana Department of Revenue
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register with the Montana Department of Revenue
1. Go to the transaction portal to start the registration
2. Scroll down to the Businesses section and click Register for a New Tax Account
3. Within the Register box, click the Register for a New Tax Account link
4. Select the ID type you would like the business account to be registered to - FEIN or SSN.
5. The next sections will request information regarding the business. Please ensure when registering to choose Withholding as your account type.
When the registration is completed, the state will mail a copy of the account number within 10-14 business days.
Register with the Montana Department of Labor & Industry
1. Link - UI eServices for Employers
2. Under the UI Account Registration section, click the Register a New UI Account
3. Click next
4. Click Employer and next
5. Enter your company's information within the following screens.
When the registration is completed, the state will send the account number in 7 business days.
Find your Tax Account Numbers
- Contacting the state
- Welcome Letter or Form UI-5
- Contacting the agency
- Rate notices