Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Maryland Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance - Maryland Department of Labor
- State Withholding Insurance - Comptroller of Maryland
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register with the Comptroller of Maryland
When registering for an account number for either State Unemployment or State Withholding, the registration will be on the Comptroller website.
1. Click on this link to take you to the registration page - Maryland Combined Registration Online Application
2. Scroll down to select the begin registration button
3. Please ensure to select the "Unemployment Insurance" and "Employer Withholding Tax Account" boxes. Note, for withholding, you will need to select the filing frequency you wish to file.
CertiPay Online will need to be notified of which filing frequency you choose.
4. Click Continue
5. Enter the company's information on following screen and click continue.
Tax account numbers should be received within 7 business days. If you would like to get your account numbers sooner, you can reach out to the state through phone (800) 638-2937 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find your Tax Account Numbers
Withholding Account Number:
- Your Central Registration Number (CRN) - State Withholding
- Your CRN generally will be 8 digits long and start with a 0 or a 1
- Could be on form MW506 or MW508
Unemployment Account Number:
- Your Employer Account Number - State Unemployment
- Your Employer Account Number will likely be 10 digits long and start with 00 or 01
- Could be found on form DLLR/DUI 15
- Tax Rate Notice