New Hampshire

Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.

Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.

New Hampshire Tax Agency

Eligibility Requirements 

Most companies are liable for state unemployment if they have one or more workers in different weeks in a calendar year, payroll of $1,500 in a calendar quarter, or they are liable under the Federal Unemployment Tax Act. 

  • You should receive your Employer Account Number within 2 weeks of registering online—you can also call the day after registering to receive this number sooner over the phone.
    • The Employer Account Number can look different based on where you're viewing it:
      • If viewing the account number on the agency website: the number will be ten-digits in total—usually four zeros, followed by six unique numbers.
      • If viewing a letter from the state: the number will likely be nine-digits in total—usually with three or more leading zeros, followed by six unique numbers.

If you have any questions about the registration process, you should call the agency at (603) 224-3311. 

Register for State Unemployment Insurance

1. You can register with the New Hampshire Employment Security (NHES) online to get your State Unemployment Account Number and tax rate(s).

2. Scroll to select the Employer Status Report Online

3. Follow the prompt on the following screens. Note, the state will ask information regarding your company; like FEIN, eligibility dates, etc. 

Find your SUI Tax Account Number

Your UI Tax Rate will appear on the Tax Rate Determination letter that you received from NH Employment Security. Typically, NH Employment Security will establish new rates in July, but it also can update rates in any given quarter. You'll also be assigned an Administrative Contribution rate (AC rate) between 0.1% and 0.4%. If you’re unsure of your rates, verify by calling the agency at (603) 224-3311. 

Your UI Tax Rate generally changes each year, effective July 1st. However, this New Hampshire tax agency can update assigned rates quarterly, dependent upon the agency's needs. When you receive a new rate from New Hampshire, reach out to your dedicated Support Team. 

Agency Website and Contact Information

New Hampshire Employment Security (800) 852-3400

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request



Article is closed for comments.