Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account information required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Georgia Tax Agencies
- State Income Withholding - Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR)
- State Unemployment Insurance - Georgia Department of Labor (DOL)
Register with Georgia Department of Revenue
1. Register with the Georgia Department of Revenue online.
2. Under the "Registration" section select Register a New Georgia Business
3. Click the Next button on the bottom right.
4. Complete the next series of questions regarding your company.
5. Once registered, you should receive your account number instantly, along with your tax deposit schedule.
Register with Georgia Department of Labor
Most companies will be liable for state unemployment if they pay more than $1500 in a calendar quarter or have at least one employee a day in 20 consecutive calendar weeks during a calendar year.
1. Register online with the Department of Labor.
2. Scroll to the Registration Information section and complete the required fields. You should receive your account number instantly after registering online. The SUI account number format will be: XXXXXX-XX.
*Nonprofit organizations and those going through changes in ownership must instead complete Form DOL-1N and mail it to the agency here:
Georgia Department of Labor, Suite 850
148 Andrew Young International Blvd.
Atlanta, GA 30303-1751.
You should receive your account number approximately one month after mailing this form.
How to find account numbers and rate information
Withholding tax number and deposit schedule – Department of Revenue
If you've run payroll in GA before, you can find your withholding account number on any notice that you've received from the DOR or you can locate it on the agency's website. Keep in mind:
- A withholding number that looks like XXXXXXX-XX.
- The last two characters of your withholding number must be upper case letters.
Unemployment Insurance - DOL Account Number
Businesses that have run payroll in the past can find their DOL Account Number on notices received from the DOL and will be formatted as XXXXXX-XX.
Total tax rate
Your total tax rate can be found on the Employer UI Tax Rate Notices that are available on the GDOL Employer Portal. Note, this state has SUI minors that also may be listed on your quarterly return.
Once logged in to the employer portal, on the right-hand side of the screen, click on your DOL account number (under your business name).
You may also call the agency at (404) 232-3300 to get both your rate and your account number.