Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account info required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Connecticut Tax Agencies
- State Income Tax - Connecticut Department of Revenue Services
- State Unemployment Insurance - Connecticut Department of Labor (DOL)
- Paid Family Medical Leave - Connecticut Paid Leave Authority
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has:
- Paid $1500 in wages during a calendar quarter
- Had an employee working at least one day during a 20 week period
Register with Connecticut Department of Revenue
You should receive your CT Tax Registration Number and tax deposit schedule in real time when registering online, or when registering in-person.
1. Register online with the CT Department of Revenue.
- For early registration assistance, you can visit the State of Connecticut's new online business checklist tool, which includes information from various state agencies and generates a personal checklist to help you get started.
2. Once you are ready to register, use the MyconneCT link
3. Scroll down to click Click Here to Register your Business
4. The first screen will review the items needed to complete the register and the tax accounts that could be registered with this application.
5. Click the Green next button to continue.
6. Select the reason for registration.
7. Continue the prompted steps with the company's information.
All new CT Registration Numbers are now issued as a 12-digit number. All previous 10, or 11-digit numbers will remain valid and do not need to be changed.
- Reminder: The last 3 digits of the withholding account number are always 000.
Register with Connecticut Department of Labor
You should receive your CT Unemployment Number and company-specific unemployment rate instantly, followed by a confirmation letter in the mail within one week.
1. Learn about registration requirements on the CT Department of Labor website.
2. Start to register your business online by using the ReEmployCT system.
3. If you are an employer that does not have an account with Connecticut, then you will need to select the first option Apply Here under the New Employers section.
4. Complete the information needed and click next.
5. The next screen will ask for you to create a username and password.
6. Follow the following prompts with your company's information.
If you have questions about registration, call the Employer Status Unit at (860) 263-6550.
Agency and Contact Information
- Connecticut Department of Revenue Services (860) 297-5962
- Connecticut Department of Labor, Employment Security Division (860) 263-6470