Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account info required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
California Tax Agency
- State Unemployment Insurance & State Income Withholding Tax - CA Employment Development Department (EDD)
Register with the EDD Online
Check out this video tutorial for registration guidance: enroll as an employer in e-Services for Business (YouTube).
1. Start by heading to the EDD's e-services for businesses site.
2. Enroll for a username and password by clicking Enroll on the right-side of the page.
3. Enter your personal information and click Continue.
4. Once you've created the account, sign in to your E-services for Businesses profile.
5. Select New Customer.
6. Choose Register for Employer Payroll Tax Account Number.
7. You'll be asked for information about your business and its operations in California—
8. Submit your completed online registration application to finish this step.
9. Once your request is sent:
If you submitted paperwork in person (rather than online), registration can take up to 7 days.
Mail In Registration
Complete the registration form for your type of business:
- Commercial Employer Account Registration and Update Form (Including Pacific Maritime, and Fishing Boats) (DE 1) (PDF)
- Agricultural Employer Account Registration and Update Form (DE 1AG) (PDF)
- Governmental Organizations, Public Schools, and Indian Tribes Registration and Update Form (DE 1GS) (PDF)
- Nonprofit Employers Registration and Update Form (DE 1NP) (PDF)
- Employers Depositing Only Personal Income Tax Withholding Registration and Update Form (DE 1P) (PDF)
- Employer of Household Workers (DE1HW) (PDF)
Mail or fax your completed registration form to the address or fax number below.
Employment Development Department
Account Services Group, MIC 28
PO Box 826880
Sacramento CA 94280-0001
Note: Registration by mail may take 10-14 days to process.
State Disability Insurance (SDI) and Paid Family Leave (PFL) resources
The California State Disability Insurance (SDI) program provides short-term Disability Insurance (DI) and Paid Family Leave (PFL) wage replacement benefits to eligible workers who need time off work.
The city of San Francisco has additional requirements for employers.
Agency Website and Contact Info
- California Employment Development Department (888) 745-3886