Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for the applicable work and live in state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account info required to pay them.
Note, CertiPay Online can put your account in an applied for status. This may cause additional monthly fees as some states do not accept returns/tax liability deposits for accounts that are in an applied for status.
Arkansas Tax Agencies
- State Income Tax Withholding - Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration (DFA)
- State Unemployment Insurance - Arkansas Division of Workforce Services (ADWS)
Register with Arkansas Department of Finance & Administration
2. Scroll down to click on Register a Business under the businesses section.
3. Answer the following questions regarding your company's business structure.
Once you have your tax account ID, navigate back to the ATAP login page, and click Sign Up within the login box. If you have any questions about completing registration, call the agency at (501) 683-2827.
You should receive your DFA Account ID and filing schedule by mail in 1-2 weeks. Your filing schedule will either be monthly or annual.
Your company becomes liable for state unemployment insurance tax once the company has had at least one Arkansas employee working for some portion of ten or more days during a calendar year.
Register with Arkansas Division of Workforce Services
2. Click on Register for DWS Employer Account under the first time user section
3. If your company is new to work in Arkansas, then select the second option "My company has never registered with the AR Division of Workforce Services. I am applying for an employer account number."
4. Complete the following prompts with your company's information.
5. Once the registration is complete, an email confirmation will be sent with the Tax Account Number. Reference this employer handbook if you run into any issues.
If your business has employees who live in Texarkana, Arkansas, or who live in Texarkana, Texas and work in Texarkana, Arkansas, they qualify for an exemption from Arkansas withholding tax.
If either of these scenarios applies to your business:
- Have each eligible employee sign Form AR4EC(TX).
- Set up the employee exemption.
- Let the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration know that you have at least one exempt employee.
For more information, please view the state website or the exemptions ruling.
Agency Contact Information
- Arkansas Department of Finance & Administration (501) 682-7290
- Arkansas ATAP Services (501) 683-2827
- Arkansas Department of Workforce Services (501) 682-2121