Setting up your Company for Payroll in Alabama

The following article is for customers who are setting up their company in Alabama, whether they are re-registering a company with an existing account with the state, or if they are registering a new account with the state for the first time.

Alabama Tax Agencies

  • Alabama Department of Revenue - income tax withholding - (334) 242-1584
  • Alabama Department of Laborunemployment tax - (304) 558-2677
  • Local Alabama tax agencies

Setting up an Existing Company 

If you have previously run payroll for your company in Alabama, you must get the following information from your existing paperwork and forms. Once you have gotten this information, please contact the CertiPay Online Support Team to finalize your setup within the payroll application.  

Information  Location
Withholding Account Number Forms received from the Alabama Department of Revenue.
Unemployment Compensation Account Number Forms received from Alabama Department of Labor
Alabama Tax Rate Notice of Contribution Rate from Alabama Department of Labor

If you have questions or cannot find this information, please contact the Alabama Department of Revenue or Alabama Department of Labor, when applicable.

Power of Attorney

Before CertiPay Online can file and pay your Alabama Unemployment Tax, the Alabama Department of Labor (DOL) requires that you submit a notarized Power of Attorney (POA) form. Please notarize the pre-filled POA form provided by your sales representative or you can request one from the CertiPay Online Support Team.


Local Alabama tax agencies

Alabama Revenue Discovery Systems

The RDS is a payee for local taxes in the following cities: Attalla, Beaverton, Fort Deposit, Guin, Haleyville, Hamilton, Macon (county), Midfield, Mosses, Notasulga, Shorter, Southside, Sulligent, Tarrant and Tuskegee. 

More information can be obtained from the RDS at (800)556-7274

Additional Local Tax Accounts

Additional accounts will need to be setup if your business is located in the following cities: Gadsden, Birmingham (Tax Account Number and Occupational Tax Schedule), and Auburn. 

More information can be obtained from the applicable agencies listed below:

  • City of Gadsden Revenue Department:  (256) 549-4559
  • City of Birmingham Tax & License Administration: (205) 254-2198
  • City of Auburn: (334) 501-7226 

Registering a New Company

If you are running payroll for your company in the state of Alabama for the first time, you must do the following:

  • Register your company as an employer with the Alabama Department of Revenue. 
  • Receive your Withholding Tax Account number from the Alabama Department of Revenue. 
  • Register with the Department of Labor to obtain your Alabama Unemployment tax account. 

For more information about registering a new company with the state of Alabama, you can contact their department of revenue, or you can email the CertiPay Online Support Team who will help you register your company.

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request


Article is closed for comments.