Setting up your Company for Payroll in North Carolina

The following article is for customers who are setting up their company in North Carolina, whether they are re-registering a company with an existing account with the state, or if they are registering a new account with the state for the first time.

North Carolina Tax Agencies

North Carolina tax agencies

  • North Carolina Department of Revenue (DOR) - income tax withholding - (877) 252-3052
  • North Carolina Employment Security Commission -unemployment tax -(919) 707-1170

Setting up an Existing Company 

If you have previously run payroll for your company in North Carolina, you must get the following information from your existing paperwork and forms. Once you have gotten this information, please contact the CertiPay Online Support Team to finalize your setup within the payroll application.  

Information  Location
North Carolina Account ID Notices received from the North Carolina Department of Revenue.
Employment Security Account Number Unemployment Tax Rate Assignment from the Employment Security Commission
SUI rate

If you have questions or cannot find this information, please contact the North Carolina Department of Revenue or the Department of Employment and Workforce, when applicable.

Registering a New Company

If you are running payroll for your company in the state of North Carolina for the first time, you must do the following:

  • Register your company with the North Carolina Department of Revenue to receive your Department of Revenue Account ID.
  • Receive your unemployment tax rate.

For more information about registering a new company with the state of North Carolina, you can contact their department of revenue, or you can email the CertiPay Online Support Team who will help you register your company.

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request


Article is closed for comments.